Year 6 into 7 induction days
Ysgol Emrys ap Iwan threw open their doors with a three day event for this September’s intake of learners from a number of schools including: Ysgol St Elfod; Ysgol Maes Owen, Ysgol y Castell, Ysgol St George and Ysgol y Faenol and many surrounding schools.
The visitors experienced a variety of activities during lessons such as making shortbread, using the Bunsen burners in science to conduct an experiment, looking at the Vikings in history and made Viking hats. They also spent valuable time getting to know each other and their form tutors.
Sienna Fisher, one of a group of learners from Ysgol Emrys ap iwan who helped show the new learners around school, said: “ It has been a great experiences for us all. I have helped them become more independent in the school.” Jacob Riddle added; “It was great meeting the Year 6 learners and helping them around the school.”
Below are comments left on the @emrys twitter page
- On Wednesday morning I felt a bit nervous about finding new friends because I didn’t know any one.
- The best thing so far is that I have made loads of friends that are in my form .
- I think the thing I will enjoy most at Ysgol Emrys Ap iwan is Music, meeting up with all my new friends….and the school dinner!
- The best thing so far is Science where we used the Bunsen burners to see how Magnesium reacts to fire.
- The thing I am most looking forward to is Summer School because I will learn more about this school and get to know the teachers here @Emrys.
Lisa Kelly Roberts, Pastoral Leader of Y7 said: “It was a pleasure to welcome the year 6 learners to Emrys ap Iwan to give them a taster of what life will be like in secondary school. We are very much looking forward to when they start in September.”
Sarah Vaughan Edmonds, Transition Co-ordinator added: “The most successful element of the days was that the learners quickly became familiar with their surroundings and had engaged fully in some exciting activities.”
The Headteacher Mr Cummins commented ‘ It was great to see all our new learners who are joining us in September. They have been a pleasure to have in the school and I look forward to welcoming them all at the start of the new year.’